Monday 19 March 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


19 March


We have escaped the worst of the snowfall, but the very low temperatures and strong winds have created a surface of sculpted ice.  On the exposed airfield path, the puddles, which look to be about 4 metres long and 3 metres wide, have two different textures.  They are part angular and re-frozen slabs and part globular and bubbled.  The snow must have frozen into small, connected lumps on top of the previous surface. I have to squint as we edge past them on the narrow margin of mud and stones.  They reflect the sun like opaque mirrors.

The cross-wind on this bleak section is painful on the face and fingers, despite the hat, gloves and scarf.  I am relieved when we complete this stretch and turn the corner into the protection of a hedge.  Out of the wind the sun is warm - it is noticeably gaining in strength.

I have cut and gessoed 6 more boards.  I finish the final two layers today.  They dry while I do some more work on Millie’s portrait and then lay down a background for a new painting.  When we return from the afternoon walk, I make a quick sketch of my thoughts in a notebook.


All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/