Saturday 10 March 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


10 March


There are seven lilac-coloured crocuses open in the garden this morning - more evidence of the cautious approach of Spring.  On closer inspection I see that the stamens and stigma are the colour of rich egg yolk - the kind that you get from happy, outdoor hens, and that make your Yorkshire puddings rise!

Whilst walking past one of the large, medieval buildings in Lavenham, I see a small tortoiseshell butterfly sitting on the pavement.  Not wanting a pedestrian to tread on it, I bend down and place my hand next to it.  It obligingly walks onto my index finger.  I shelter it gently with my other hand and carry it across the street to a garden opposite, where I lean over the hedge and place it carefully on some foliage.  It is reluctant to leave the warmth of my skin.  I’m not sure whether it will have sufficient strength or nourishment to survive, but its chances must be slightly better than sitting on the tarmac in Water Street.


All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/