Monday 26 February 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


26 February


The snow begins, in a stop/start kind of way.  There are patches of bright blue sky and sunshine between the showers.  I spy more lapwings, both in the meadow and landing on the field beyond.  It looks as if a whole flock have arrived.  This annoys the gulls that daily fly up and down this piece of farmland, searching for food. I notice some of them trying to chase away the new competition.

The kestrel makes a reappearance on her usual post, and I am amused to also see a pheasant, standing beside our pheasant sculpture.  The metal cut-out is almost exactly life size.  The winter sunshine brings out the rich colours in the live bird’s plumage - especially the deep red on his face.

On our way back from a morning walk I spot a buzzard sitting in a roadside field.  I very rarely get to see them on the ground, but when I do I am reminded of just how big they are!  As we get level with it, it takes off and flies to the cover of some nearby trees.

When I return home, I help Barry to shift a log delivery into his wood store.  We chat amiably about this and that as I wheel the barrow back and forth and he throws the logs onto the pile.

In the studio, I continue with Millie’s portrait, gradually bringing up the detail on the head, refining it further and bring it increasingly into focus.


All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/