Saturday 24 February 2018


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


24 February


On my way out of the kitchen door I suddenly spot a new arrival in the meadow.  A Lapwing ( or Peewit, as my father would have called it ) is walking proudly across the rough grass, stopping now and again to peck at the ground in its search for earthworms and insects.  I nip back inside and grab the field glasses.  On closer inspection I can see a green and purple sheen to its apparently black and white plumage.  The curling crest on its head, together with its upright stance, make it look very regal. A Georgian gentleman processing proudly around in Bath society.

We make the most of an afternoon of crisp sunshine and go for a walk with some friends.  Millie, in her little winter coat, leads the way, while we follow on, sporting a fine selection of woolly hats.  It’s a really enjoyable and sociable time, culminating in mugs of hot coffee and homemade cake. Life doesn’t get much better than that in my book!

Just as the sun is setting, I look out from the kitchen door again and see the soft, merging colours of the sunset.  It all looks so serene, but the weather front nicknamed “The Beast From The East “, is on its way!



All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/