Saturday 13 January 2018



Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


13 January

It is heartening to see the pale golden sun reaching out from under a band of light grey cloud, as I look out over the garden this morning.  The goldfinches are already raiding the bird feeders and the robin is hopping about territorially at the base of the apple trees.

In the little meadow, the green woodpecker and the kestrel return to seek out their respective food sources.  They have become daily visitors now and I am pleased to think that we are helping to feed them.  I go outside to chop some kindling and see that the emerging snowdrops are beginning to form tiny white flower heads.  My arrival disturbs the woodpecker, who flies off to the safety of a nearby hedge.  The flight patterns of woodpeckers always amuse me.  I watch it travel in an up-and-down scalloped-shaped line.  It’s body shape makes it look like a flying wooden skittle.

I pack some work to go to an exhibition and review yesterday’s painting.  The compositions need to rattle around in the back of my mind for a bit longer.



All text & images ©2018 Carol Saunderson


http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/