Friday 2 May 2014



Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.


Spaces Between Busyness

April turned out to be a busy month one way or another.  My Mum moved to Suffolk to be near to us and we helped another family member to move house and to host an 18th birthday party on consecutive days!  One exhibition closed and I have prepared work for another.  I've been developing my prints - both giclee and hand-made - and juggling all the usual admin and on-line management.  My little van has covered many miles of Suffolk roads, delivering, collecting and visiting.

Because we arrived here in winter, we started with a blank canvas of a landscape.  Every development is new to me - my first view of each season.  Each week brings new shapes, colour changes and views.  Spring is now out in abundance and this week the heady perfumes of the hedgerows have become more obvious.  Soon too, the vast fields of broad bean flowers will be fully out, releasing a beautiful jasmine-like fragrance.  The fields of rape seed are creating huge yellow patches, as I look out across the miles of open fields.  I've seen more hares in the last few weeks than I have seen in the last few years, and also a couple of muntjac in recent days.

This month's painting has been very influenced by soil preparation and planting. I've found myself creating work about gardens, mainly because some very kind friends have lent us some space in their garden to use as an allotment. It is very satisfying work and a refreshing break from the small space of the studio.  I am also fascinated to be in a area of many patterns, enclosed by trees.  I'm intrigued to see the light filtered through the branches and foliage and to watch it falling in ever-changing patches around me.  It has stuck in my mind and come out in my work.  The trees screen out the outside world and are full of birds, which means that birdsong is the only sound that I'm aware of as I work.

Over Easter, we were also very privileged to look after a neighbour's sheep.  Only seven, not a whole flock!  However, they did increase during that time, with the first lamb being born on Easter Day.  Fortunately Mum and baby managed ok on their own.  I was beginning to wish that I'd watch more of "Lambing Live", but thankfully no help was required!

One other very special thing that I did this month, was to visit the grave of the painter John Nash and his wife Christine, who are buried in a village churchyard not far from where we live.  He is one of my artistic heroes and I found it very moving to stand quietly in front of their very simple gravestone on a beautiful, bright and peaceful Spring afternoon.  This is a county with such an artistic heritage and I am thoroughly enjoying finding out more about it and meeting many of it's current inhabitants that work in the arts - and very kind, interesting and witty they are too! 

All text & images ©2014 Carol Saunderson

http://anartistinthelandscape.blogspot.co.uk/