Saturday 2 February 2013


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.




If you go stacking the wood today, you're sure of a big surprise…


We had a wood delivery yesterday morning.  Just as the truck arrived I heard a woodpecker start his rat-a-tat-tat in one of the nearby trees.  It seemed slightly ironic and it made me smile.

It was a bright morning.  I fed the birds and then set to work with the wheelbarrow to ferry the logs through to the garden, creating a pile in front of the wood store.  I find the process of stacking quite a satisfying job and like the way that the logs randomly "lock" together into a solid pattern.  I photographed the pink wheelbarrow in front of the unstacked heap because I enjoyed seeing the bright pink strip against the pale cut sides of the logs.

While I was stacking, the birds were coming and going to the food on the other side of the garden.  When I finished I went in the house and as I passed through the kitchen I looked out of the window and saw a pair of Jays land and begin eating.  Unfortunately, they were too sensitive to movement to let me photograph them.  A few minutes later, however, I heard a kind of high-pitched "clucking" sound outside, and, looking out of the window again I saw a group of about six red-legged partridges feeding alongside two sturdy pigeons.  As I left for work a few minutes later, my opening of the back door disturbed about twenty of them that had gathered at the bottom of the garden and in the adjacent wood.  I've only ever seen the odd one before!

At work I finished painting "Bright Light on a Windy Day"





All text and images ©2013 Carol Saunderson