Thursday 31 January 2013


Abstract Landscape Painter.  Rural Dweller.  Lover of Modernist Art and Design.

The Wind

Yesterday was a really windy day.  I photographed the treetops, near to the studio, blowing around dramatically. I love the roar of the wind on days like that - to stand beneath them and hear its deafening volume.  My colleague and I practically had to shout to each other to be heard.  It's such a powerful and exciting sound - so energising.  I have a friend who teaches infants.  She says that on windy days they are more difficult to control and will run around the playground shouting and screaming in an over-excited manner.  My dog too, despite her age, will go out into the garden on a windy day, sniff the air and run around barking at apparently nothing!  Similarly, I felt energised with my painting and continued to work vigorously on my latest landscape.

The other thing that I saw yesterday was a raven.  I was in the garden, chopping kindling for the fire, when I heard a deep "cark, cark, cark" sound from above.  I looked up and there against the tree tops was an enormous black bird, almost stationary, bracing himself against the strong wind like a kite.  We don't see them often, but two of my neighbours have mentioned seeing them lately.  He was an impressive creature, apparently steering his way around the prevailing currents with ease.


All text and images©2013 Carol Saunderson